I completed my undergraduate education with a double major in Chemical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering with a minor in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from UC Berkeley in 2023. Currently, I am a first year Ph.D. student in Cape Crystal utilizing computational tools like molecular dynamics and machine learning to investigate previously unknown crystal structure types for self-assemblies of binary particles. I will combine exploration—broad screening and active-learning-guided searches of parameter space—with rational design approaches to both target the formation of with desirable structures and identify new materials design targets. The model systems exhibit short-range interactions, which lead to the emergence of long-range order, and by simulating solidification directly, I can account for both thermodynamic and kinetic factors that stabilize different materials. As a result, I can develop a forward design regime to guide computational and experimental assembly of structures by understanding the impact of particle features on the resulting structure.
D. Popple, C. Dai, P. Kim, M. Shekhirev, K. X. Wang, P. Ashby, Y. Gogotsi, T. P. Russell, A. Zettl. “All liquid Reconfigurable Electronics Using Jammed MXene Interfaces.” Advanced Materials, 2023, 35: 2208148.
- “All liquid Reconfigurable Electronics Using Jammed MXene Interfaces.” American Institute of Chemical Engineers Annual Student Regional Conference, Phoenix, AZ, November 2022. (Oral)
- “All liquid Reconfigurable Electronics Using Jammed MXene Interfaces.” MXenes: Addressing Global Challenges with Innovation, Philadelphia, PA, August 2022. (Poster)
- “All liquid Reconfigurable Electronics Using Jammed MXene Interfaces.” American Institute of Chemical Engineers Western Student Regional Conference, Los Angeles, CA, April 2022. (Oral)
[First place in Individual Paper Competition]
- “Determination of Crystallite Size and Detection of Sugar in Food Using XRD.” Materials Characterization Laboratory, Berkeley, CA, April 2022. (Poster)
- “Study of Fusion in 3D Printing of PLA/Graphene Composites.” Materials Research Society, Boston, MA, November 2018. (Poster)
Honors and Awards
- Highest Honors in Chemical Engineering, Honors in General Scholarship, Spring 2023
- Blumenkrantz Summer Research Fellowship, Summer 2022